Training and Career Development
Since its inception following the award of the Wellcome Trust Cardiovascular Research Initiative - which was primarily aimed at training a cadre of future cardiovascular researchers - CVS has prioritised the delivery of innovative training and career development opportunities. These include:
- A MSc by Research one-year on-site programme in Cardiovascular Biology, taken as either a stand-alone course or as a component of a 4-year PhD
- Participation in distance-learning MSc programmes, usually part-time, including in Translational Medicine (www.transmed.ed.ac.uk)
- A mature 4-year PhD programme, with studentships funded by Wellcome Trust and BHF
- A 3-year PhD programme with studentships funded by College/Centre/MRC/ad hoc
- Funding for post-doctoral biomedical scientists through Postdoctoral Traineeships and Travelling Fellowships to gain skills in specific disciplines, and Fellowship Transition Awards to facilitate preparation of substantive externally funded fellowships.
- Participation in the Edinburgh Clinical Academic Track programme, providing predoctoral entry and run-through training to consultant level for clinicians, with a 3-year full-time PhD funded by the Wellcome Trust (www.ecat.mvm.ed.ac.uk)
- Weekly CVS seminars from visiting speakers, an Annual CVS Symposium, and numerous research-in-progress meetings
- Access for career researchers to the CVS Postdoctoral Forum, the QMRI Postdoc Society, and the Clinical Academic Trainee Research-in-Progress meetings
- For prospective PhD students, the QMRI hosts an annual PhD Open Day.